Tough week

I've had some losses in my life this week, and I just wanted to acknowledge them on my blog.
On Sunday, I learned a former student had died shortly after she had given birth. Goodbye, Jenny, you are a special person,  a very talented advertising professional and a light in the world.

On Thursday, I learned that my friend Patty, wife of my good friend Steve, lost a battle with a horrible illness. Goodbye, Patty, your smile and your love are unconditional. Rest peacefully my dear friend.

Yesterday I learned my former department head passed.  Mel, you taught me a lot about academia and you lived a long and happy and productive life. Sail on, Mel.

This morning I learned my colleague Sheila died unexpectedly. She and I served together on  the executive board of an academic organization, and she shared my desire to bring academia into the 21st century. Goodbye Sheila. I'll keep fighting the good fight in your memory.

I'm struggling to find the lessons in all these losses beyond 'life is short'. Maybe that is enough.

Comments

fillyjonk said…
Wow, that's terrible. I'm sorry you are having to deal with so many losses all at once.
Rachel said…
So sorry Kim. For the losses and for the fact that you are having to deal with them all at once. I'm not sure there are always lessons in loss...but maybe it's good that you are trying to find them anyway...