Carole asks--what are ten things I'm proud of from this year? This is unexpectedly hard--either I don't feel a lot of pride or I don't do things that make me proud--but let's see what I can come up with.
1. The waterfall rafting trip in New Zealand--you may recall we took a raft trip that had a 22 foot high waterfall in it. I was pretty scared and apprehensive but we did it and it was truly an accomplishment.
2. Three journal articles published this year! Given that there are years when I'm doing other things and get no research done, three articles in a year is something that hasn't occurred since I before I was tenured. So three this year is a good thing.
3. Strong relationships with grad students--I have some great grad students and they're great to work with. What makes me really proud is when they tell me that other PhD students complain--a lot--about their advisers and they feel very smug that they have nothing to add. I didn't have a great adviser myself and so I do work hard to be the kind of adviser that I would want to have.
4. I stood up to a bully at work. Let's just leave that there as the situation is ongoing but I did that.
5. I overcame a pretty big character flaw and worked hard on being a better person and I think I did well at that. Working on myself is something that is ongoing--and I'm fine with that.
6. I'm proud that I taught myself how to needle felt after many falst starts.
7. I'm proud that I've started the decluttering project and can already see the benefits.
8. I'm proud that I have worked so hard on saying 'yes' instead of saying 'no.
9. I'm proud that our dogs and cats are healthy and happy.
10. I'm proud that I've been married to an incredible man for 20 years. Here's to 20 more!
Happy New Year everyone!